Just a catchup post on my recent baking adventures:
In November my church had a men's evening. I baked:
- Coffee and Milk Chocolate Chip Cake from Baking by Flavor. This was a dense cake with a glaze made from Kahlua, coffee, and sugar. The sugar crystalized on the outside of the cake, giving it a very interesting and enjoyable texture.
- Lemon Bundt Cake from Cook’s Illustrated magazine. This was a light cake with a wonderful icing made from lemon juice, buttermilk, and confectioners' sugar. The icing really added a tart flavor with a little bit of tang from the buttermilk.
I've also started making cookie dough for my Christmas Baking. Like last year, I'm making the doughs over 2 weekend, freezing them, and baking on the third weekend. So far, I've made:
- Soft Gingerbread Cookies from Cook's Illustrated
- Brown Sugar Cookies from Cook's Illustrated
- Chocolate Cranberry Sugar Cookies from The Baking Sheet
- Dark & White Chocolate Chunk Cookies from Bon Appetit
- Peppermint Chocolate Thumbprints from The Baking Sheet
- Chocolate Chip Cookies (with Whole Wheat Flour) from King Arthur Flour Company
reveilles is currently making Rum Balls (based on a recipe from The Joy of Cooking). I'm also going to make Chocolate Walnut Fudge and Peanut Butter Fudge (from Cook's Illustrated).