Yesterday, reveilles, her mother, and I travelled around central Massachusetts going wine tasting. We visited three wineries: Hardwick Winery, Charlton Orchards Farm and Winery, and Nashoba Valley Winery. reveilles' mother had never been wine tasting before and really enjoyed herself. Here's what reveilles and I brought home:
- Hardwick Winery:
- Massetts. Cranberry: A grape wine flavored with cranberry. reveilles liked this more than I did, but it was a pleasant wine with a little tartness from the cranberries.
- Charlton Orchards Farm and Winery
- Black Gold: a blackberry dessert wine
- Three Sisters: a blend of Zinfandel, Chennin Blanc, and Vidal grapes. An enjoyable semi-sweet wine which was more complex than I expected from the blend they used.
- Obadiah's Fermae: A port style wine, fortified with cherry brandy and blackberry wine. For a port style wine, this was surprisingly smooth, not having the alcoholic taste usually found in young ports.
- Nate’s Hard Cider: a hard apple cider that reveilles enjoyed, but I didn't care for this one.
- Nashoba Valley Winery
- Cyser: a apple wine flavored with honey. reveilles and I have had this before and find it a really enjoyable semi-sweet wine.
- Raspberry Wine: a raspberry dessert wine that tastes like bottled essence of raspberry. I'm planning on serving this when I make an over-the-top chocolate dessert.
- Peach Lambic: A lambic beer made with 4 different kinds of wild yeasts. Unlike other lambics I've tried, this one was well balanced and not overly sweet or overly tart.
All in all, a very fun day, though after driving for about 200 miles, I was very glad to get home at the end of the day.